Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Being a Photographer in My World

I'm mom and a Professional Photographer.  Being a photographer is something I’ve always wanted to do.  Photography is more than a hobby for me.  It’s become a job that I love.  However, I love being a mom too.  This plays a tug-o-war on my workload as a mother and a photographer.  I think a lot of moms struggle with this issue.  Others are fortunate enough to be stay at home moms.  Unfortunately, I’m a mom, like many that needs to bring in a secondary income just to pay the bills.   I wanted a job that would allow me to be flexible, meet lots of great people and enjoy the beauty around me.

So what did I do? I decided to take a chance to be a full-time photographer so I could be home with my children more often.  I have no rules, except those that I place on me.  I work for ME.  After 13 years of working in the corporate world, I sacrificed the security of a full-time job with incredible benefits to have many more hours with my children and to be able to do something I really love.

In the process I have been blessed with so much since taking on this new chapter of my life.   I wouldn’t have been able accomplish the things that I have been able to without a supportive husband and my children.   I have met so many wonderful people who have really become a part of my life.  I’ve had the opportunity to photograph special moments and to have the same people return to me each year.  It’s such a joy to be able to be part of their journey of life.

Being self-employed does take a lot of self-discipline, determination, focus and most importantly, organization.  I have to balance every day between my duties as a mother and my job.  I want be available to my children all the time.  I want to nurture and teach them how to one day be responsible adults.  I also want to be available for all of the wonderful people I get to met each day.  Now I can create the schedule I want and it can vary day to day, week to week.   It's whatever I want! (Well, most of time) I’ve had long days and late nights because I took a day off or two to spend time with my children. To watch their games, dance recitals, cheer practice, bring-your-mom-to-school day, etc.  

Everyone has goals and dreams that they want to accomplish and for me it is being the best mom I can and being able to do something I love.  Photograph memories.










No comments:

Post a Comment